Monday, February 18, 2013

I've always wondered about this

In the 43 years I've lived in my neighborhood near this object, I've always wanted to know what it looked like inside. This object is the bridge tender's house on the bridge that crosses the Hutchinson River on the Hutchinson River Parkway near Section 5 of Co-op City.

For many of those 43 years, I've run across this bridge towards the wooded trails in Pelham Bay Park. How does it feel like inside under varied weather conditions? Does it have sleeping quarters? Is there a level below the level I can see through the windows? What kind of communication equipment is inside?

If I was granted permission to enter, could I take photographs? Or would this be a no-no due to the nation's heightened concerns about terrorism and homeland security? Since there are large signs below near the water level warning against entry into the waterway that happens to be adjacent to the Co-op City power plant without permission, that's why it might be harder to get access now than it would have been years ago?

Take a look at the photo. There's snow on the roof but some of the windows are open. Why?  So many questions. So much curiosity. maybe I should do what my wife suggested: "Why don't you just knock on the door?"

Guess I'll stay curious until I make that fateful knock.


No comments:

Post a Comment